Beer Bratwurst with Potato “Kraut” and Caramelized Onions, and Whole Grain Mustard Aioli
Beer Bratwurst with Potato “Kraut”, Caramelized Onions, and Whole Grain Mustard Aioli
A potato twist on a classic topping!
- 1 Package Potato hot dog buns
- 1/4 Cup Alsum red onion, sliced
- 2 Tablespoon Dill, fresh
- 1 Package Bratwurst (24 oz – 32 oz)
- 1 Bottle Beer, lager or ale of your choice
- 1 Pound Alsum yellow onions, sliced
- 2 Tablespoon Olive oil
Whole Grain Mustard Aioli
- 1/2 Cup Whole grain course mustard
- 1 Cup Mayonnaise, light
- 1 Teaspoon Thyme, fresh, chopped
- 1 Teaspoon Parsley, fresh, chopped
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Black pepper, ground
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon juice
- 2 Each Alsum yellow potatoes
- 1 Cup Rice Wine Vinegar
- 1 Teaspoon Caraway Seeds
- 1 Teaspoon Juniper Seeds
- 2 Tablespoon Sugar, granulated
- 2 Tablespoon Salt, kosher
- Gather all ingredients and equipment needed
- In a large pot, on medium-high heat add bratwursts and bottle of beer and braise for 10-12 minutes. Remove from heat. Finish on a grill or a ridged cast iron skilled to make grill marks.
- Rinse yellow potatoes and pat dry with a paper towel, peel and hold in cold water. Using a mandolin with a julienne blade attachment or a sharp knife, slice potatoes into thin matchsticks and place them in a bowl with cold water.
- In a small pot, add rice wine vinegar, salt, sugar, caraway seeds and juniper seeds and heat until salt and sugar dissolve, then remove from heat and add potatoes, let par-cook in liquid for one minute then add ice to the pot to cool down the temperature. Once cooled, drain liquid and set aside.
- In a frying pan or skillet, on medium heat add olive oil and coat the pan evenly then add onions and cook for 30 minutes, occasionally stirring onions evenly. When the bottom of the pan gets dark with the brown bits, deglaze the pan with water and stir to get brown bits off the bottom of the pan as needed. Onions will be brown in color when done.
Whole Grain Mustard Aioli
- Add mayonnaise, whole grain coarse mustard, parsley, thyme, salt, pepper and lemon juice in a medium bowl. Mix until fully blended.
- In a frying pan or skillet add a little oil or butter on medium heat and warm potato buns.
- Place caramelized onions on potato bun, add bratwurst, top with potato "kraut", sliced red onions, dill and a dollop of the whole grain mustard aioli.
Serving: 6servingsCalories: 460kcalCarbohydrates: 27gProtein: 13gFat: 31gSaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 60mgSodium: 1250mgPotassium: 411mgFiber: 2gSugar: 5gVitamin C: 12.09mgCalcium: 70mgIron: 1mg