Flavorful fingerling potatoes with soy sauce, garlic, Shiitake mushrooms, and creme fraiche.
- 10-16 Alsum fingerling or petite potatoes skin-on, washed, scrubbed, 10 ounches each
- 1 Tablespoon Duck fat or alternative oil or fat
- 1 Teaspoon Applewood smoked sea salt
- 1 Teaspoon Premium dark soy sauce
- 1 Teaspoon Cane sugar
- 8 Whole garlic cloves sliced ⅛ inch
- Maple smoking sawdust
- 4 Tablespoons Creme fraiche
- Dash Smoked paprika
- ¼ Cup Panko bread crumbs
- Fresh parsley minced, for garnish
- Toss together potatoes, duck fat (or alternative), smoked salt, soy sauce, sugar, garlic, shiitake mushrooms until coated well.
- Prepare a broiler pan or sheet pan with a screen and a foil lid (or use a stovetop smoker pan).
- Place a dusting of maple smoke chips on the bottom and potato/mushroom mixture on top of the screen.
- Cover with foil and poke a few holes with a fork to allow smoke to escape.
- Put the smoker assembly over a grill on high and smoke for about 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cover the bottom of an oven safe 6-inch cocotte dish or cast iron pan with breadcrumbs. Spoon potato contents over the breadcrumbs.
- Finish in the oven at 350°F for 25 minutes.
- To plate, place a dollop of creme on top, a dash of smoked paprika on the creme, and sprinkle parsley liberally over entire plate.