Potatoes and Ireland are inextricably linked. Enjoy this traditional Irish chowder for your St. Patrick's Day fare. If requiring a gluten-free recipe, check the label of the indicated (*) recipe ingredients to ensure they are gluten-free.
- 1 1/3 Pound 4 medium Russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- 14 Ounce Can Nonfat reduced-sodium chicken broth*
- 1 Cup Water
- 2 Tablespoon Canola oil
- 3 Cup Coarsley chopped green cabbage
- 3/4 Cup Finely chopped onion
- 8 Ounce Smoked chicken or turkey sausage sliced 1/4 inch thick*
- 1 Medium Carrot shredded
- 1/2 Cup 1% Milk
- Pepper to taste
- In 3-quart saucepan, cover potatoes with broth and water; add 1 teaspoon salt. Bring to boiling over high heat; reduce heat, cover and cook until potatoes are tender, 12 to 15 minutes. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in 10-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; add cabbage and onion. Sauté 10 minutes, tossing occasionally. Add sausage; continue to sauté, about 10 minutes, tossing occasionally, until vegetables and sausage begin to brown. Add carrot; set aside.
- With slotted spoon, remove about ¾ cup potato pieces and add to skillet. In electric blender, blend remaining potatoes and liquid until smooth, being careful to hold blender lid down with kitchen towel; return to saucepan. Add contents of skillet; mix in enough milk for consistency desired. Heat to simmering. Season with salt and pepper.