Crispy pieces of russet potato tossed with your choice of seasonings and/or sauces. Try lemon pepper-parmesan, pesto or classic buffalo.
- 2.2 Pounds Alsum Russet potatoes, cut in half lengthwise
- Cold water as needed
- 2 Tablespoons Kosher salt
- 2 Tablespoons Baking soda
- Vegetable oil for frying, as needed
- 1/2 Cup Hot sauce
- 1/2 Cup Unsalted butter, melted
- 8 Ounces Carrots, cut into 1/2" sticks
- 8 Ounces Celery, cut into 1/2" sticks
- 1/2 Cup Ranch dressing
- Cut potatoes into thick-cut rounds (lengthwise) about 1/2" thick. The rounds can be cut on the diagonal if too large, this will give you your "drums" and the small rounds will be your "flats". Hold the potatoes in cold water to prevent them from oxidizing.
- Place the potatoes in a large pot and cover them with cold water. Add the salt to the water and place on the stove over high heat, bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer. Cook the potatoes until they are just about fork tender (about 12 minutes). During the last 5 minutes of cooking add the baking soda. Immediately remove them from the heat, drain and arrange on baking sheets. Place the potatoes in the freezer overnight. Once the potatoes are completely frozen they are ready to be fried. The potatoes can be transferred to freezer bags at this stage up to 3 months in advance. Pro tip: the ratio of baking soda to water is crucial. Aim for 1 Tablespoon for every gallon of water. This method works best with Russet potatoes. For optimal results, potatoes must be frozen overnight before frying.
- Preheat the oil in a deep fryer to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Fry the potatoes in batches for 7-8 minutes or until they are golden brown and super crispy. Keep the potatoes warm in a low (200 degrees Fahrenheit) oven until ready to use.
- Mix the hot sauce and butter together in a small bowl. Pour some of the sauce over the crispy potato "wings" and toss quickly to coat or serve the sauce on the side.
Serving: 12servingsCalories: 290kcalCarbohydrates: 18gProtein: 2gFat: 7gCholesterol: 25mgSodium: 290mgPotassium: 465mgFiber: 2gSugar: 2gVitamin C: 6mg