Retailer Tips to Merchandising Fresh Potatoes In-Store
Did you know retailers who have diverse potato sets are not only selling more potato types, but are also getting a higher everyday price for potatoes? Commissioned by Potatoes USA, IRI completed a merchandising best practices study to help grocery decision-makers across the country optimize their in-store displays for America’s Favorite Vegetable.
The merchandising study revealed top grocery retailers’ key tactics to optimize their assortment, displays, and promotions for continued sales growth post 2020 for all potato types.
Did you Know?
- More variety of potato types leads to increased potato sales for top-performing retailers. Russet, red, yellow, white, petite, medley, and all other types of potatoes are important for increased growth.
- There has been an increase in demand for packaged potatoes and small pack sizes, but there is still a place for a variety of pack sizes in grocery stores.
- More variety in smaller pack sizes and value-added potato SKUs add incremental growth to potato sales.
- Top-performing retailers dedicate 15 feet on average to potatoes.
- Retailers who use more than one type of shelving to display potatoes in stores sell more potatoes.
- An even amount of marketing signs to price signs will help grow potato sales. Make it easy for consumers to find potatoes, and find the price.
- Grocers who promote potatoes strategically get a higher average everyday price for all types.
Learn how to elevate your potato category at retail with these tips and best practices.